A man who used to work as a soldier has launched a compensation claim for £150,000 after his wife died from asbestos related cancer.
It is thought that she was exposed to the asbestos because she washed her husband’s overalls. The compensation claim has been made against the Ministry of Defence.
The victim developed mesothelioma, which is a cancer of the tissues around the lungs. It has been claimed that this developed after she shook out and washed his overalls on a regular basis.
The husband of the victim has stated that the MoD was negligent because they allowed his wife contact with asbestos. The soldier worked on a range of military vehicles which made use of asbestos and he also had to work with asbestos on exhaust pipes on a regular basis. His overalls would have become contaminated with asbestos dust because of this.
The victim used to wash his overalls almost every day and she would shake them out before washing them, which meant releasing asbestos dust which she then inhaled.
The statement suggests that the MoD did not provide suitable work clothes for their employees and efficient laundry facilities were also not provided.